Zoom: How to Change Your Username
Zoom is one of the most widely used video-meeting apps currently on the market. It is loved for its reliability, flexibility, and ease-of-use. It is used by family and friends to share stories and chat. It is used by businesses to host team meetings and aid in employee learning. You can go on and on.
There are many reasons why you might need to change your Zoom username. Your name may need to be replaced by someone else’s computer. Even if your name is just your initial, you may need to show your entire name. How do you change your Zoom username? Here’s the answer.
It’s easy to change your Zoom name, regardless of platform.
Before a meeting, change your Zoom name
You can change your Zoom name depending on the application before you join any session. There are three options: the website, a desktop client or a mobile application.
How to change your Zoom name via the Desktop App prior to a meeting
You can change your username if you are using the Zoom desktop client. It will redirect you to a web browser, so that you can rape things up. Here’s how:
- Open Zoom Desktop Client and tap the Settings button in the upper right corner.
- In the menu, click on Profile.
- Click on Edit my Profile.
- You will see a new window in your default browser. You can exit the Zoom Settings page. Next, click Edit beside your name.
- Final step: Update your Display name, and then click Save.
These instructions will change your username if you are unable to access a web browser for these steps.
- Once the desktop client is up and running click on the icon in upper-right corner.
- Select Sign Out in the dropdown menu. Don’t forget to close the app.
- Start the Zoom desktop client again.
- Select “Join A Meeting” Zoom will then open the “Join Meeting” screen.
- You will need to enter the meeting’s ID/personal link name in the upper box, and the preferred user name (not login username) in the lower.
- To start the session, click on the “Join” button.
You are now done. You will see the username you have entered in the meeting. Make sure to choose carefully. You can make it whatever you like.
How to change your Zoom name via the website before a meeting
- Start the “file browser” from your computer. Once you have reached your profile page, click the “small profile icon”.
- Choose Sign Out, or Zoom to redirect you to the site’s homepage.
- Next, click on the upper menu.
- Click on “Join” to enter the “Meeting ID”, or “Personal Link No”
- After clicking “Join”, the Launching page opens. Next, the “Join A Meeting page” page appears. Zoom will prompt you to enter your name and verify that you aren’t a robot.
How to change your Zoom name via the Mobile App for Android/iPhone prior to a Meeting
Zoom can be used on Android and iOS to change your name prior to a meeting. Both operating systems have the same steps.
- Start the Zoom app on Android or iOS, and then tap the “Settings” cog at the bottom-right corner.
- The Settings screen will appear. Here you can view your account information and adjust chat and meeting settings.
- Click on the account name in the top right corner of the screen. Zoom will redirect you to the My Profiles screen. This is where advanced settings can be modified. Scroll down and click on the red Log Out” link.
- You will then be redirected to the ‘Start a Meeting’ screen. Scroll down to the “Join A Meeting” button.
- The “Join A Meeting” screen will open. Enter your Meeting ID and your “new name” below. Click on the “Join Meeting” button.
How to change your Zoom name during a meeting
Zoom is one of the most flexible, user-friendly video-meeting apps on the market. You can also change your name in a meeting. You can also change your name on any platform and any device at any time.
How to change your Zoom name via the Desktop App during a meeting
- Click on the button at bottom of meeting window if you’re already in a meeting.
- On the right side of your window, you will see a list of all participants to the meeting.
- Click to hover your name.
- A text box should appear containing your current name. You can delete it and create a new name. To confirm, click “OK”.
How to change your Zoom name via the Android and iPhone Mobile Apps during a meeting
- We are starting in a meeting, just like the desktop tutorial. This is how your screen should look:
- Tap the Participants icon at bottom of screen. You will be taken to the screen of the Participant.
- Tap on your name to find it in the list. Zoom will pop up with your username and allow you to modify it. Tap on the Rename option.
- To confirm, enter a new screenname and tap the button.
Zoom makes it easy to change your name, regardless of what device you are using or when you use it. Zoom’s feature is amazing. You can modify your name in Zoom before and during a meeting by following the steps above.
You don’t have to keep your name the same after the session starts. A few clicks or taps and some inspiration are all that is required to create a new name. You can change your username anytime, unless an administrator blocks you.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Zoom allows me to change the username of someone else
Administrators of meetings will see an option to change the name of another participant by clicking the “Participants” tab at the bottom and choosing “More”. Once the option is displayed, enter the new username and then save it.
Zoom won’t allow me to change my username. What’s happening?
Administrators have a lot of control over what you can do and cannot do during meetings. It’s possible that the administrator has set up a Setting to prevent you from changing your username.
You can allow users to modify their names if you are the host of the meeting. Scroll down the “Meetings” section until the setting “Allow participants change their names” appears. The ability should now appear by switching on the switch.
Zoom allows me to update my job title
Zoom allows you to update your title if you have been promoted recently or just want to inform everyone about your role.