TikTok users are familiar with the frustration of losing a TikTok video after watching it. You may be wondering how to view your watch history and get back to your video in such situations. There is an answer!
This article will show you how to view your video history, and what you can do so that you always have your favourite videos.
How to see your Watch History in TikTok using the iPhone App
TikTok does not have a button to “Watch History”, unlike other social apps. You can access your history by requesting your TikTok data file. You will also find a list of videos that you have watched (the “Video Browsing History”) list.
Here are the steps to view your watch history and request your TikTok data files:
- Go to your profile by opening the TikTok app.
- Tap on the three lines in the upper-right corner.
- Select Personalization and data.
- Choose “Download your data.”
- Tap “Request data file.”
- The Download data tab will send you a confirmation of your data request. You can then see the status and progress of your request. It currently says “Pending”, which indicates that TikTok is still processing your request. It takes approximately 24 hours.
- Once the file is downloaded, click to “Download.” After you have clicked on “Download,” , you will be redirected back to your browser. You will need to log in to TikTok. It is possible that you will be asked to verify the file.
- Choose “Download” in the popup confirmation window.
- The file downloads in zip format using your default file manager. You can save the file to your computer and then open it on your iPhone if you don’t have the zip app installed.
- After you have opened the zip file, there will be several.txt documents. You’ll see several.txt files in the zip file. Open the one called Video Browsing history.
- The file’s list contains the date, the time and a link to each video. Copy/paste any video to view in your browser.
Notice: Your TikTok file can be accessed for up to 4 days. The file will disappear after that and you’ll need to submit another request.
How to see your watch history in TikTok, the Android App
Both the TikTok Android app and iPhone app are identical. To view your watch history, you will need to request your TikTok data. This can take up 24 hours.
Here are the steps to download your TikTok data and view your history
- Go to your profile by opening the TikTok app.
- Tap the three lines at the top-right corner. Next, select Privacy & Settings.
- Next, tap Privacy.
Select Personalization and data.
- Tap on “Download your data.”
- Select “Request data.”
- You will receive a message confirming that your request was received. The “Download Data” tab shows the current status. To save your TikTok data, select and click “Download”.
- Once you have downloaded the file, it can be accessed in “My files.” Because this file is zip, if it doesn’t open on your phone, please send it to you and use your computer to get it.
- Multiple text files are contained in the zip file. Choose “Video Browsing History.” Once you open the zip file, you will see all of the videos that you have viewed, along with the date, the time and a link for each one. Copy the links and copy them into your browser.
How to view your watch history in TikTok from a PC
The TikTok mobile application offers the ability to download a file containing your profile information and watch history. The option is only available in the mobile app, and not on the computer.
To download the app, you can use your smartphone to request access to your file. You’ll also have access to your watch history and your bio.
You can now view all of your favorite videos on your computer if you are looking for a particular video.
- Go to TikTok in your browser.
- Tap the profile picture in the upper-right corner.
- Tap You Like.
This option doesn’t exist in TikTok’s web version. This is why there is no way to view them. You will need the mobile app to view the videos you have saved as favorites.
We hope you find this information helpful. You can now scroll through TikTok and not worry about losing any videos.
TikTik History FAQs
How can I locate a video I have commented on?
TikTok does not have an activity feature similar to Facebook. This means that you cannot go directly to comments on videos you’ve made. There are other ways than the ones listed above to locate that video.
Commenting on a TikTok video will make it visible to others and they may like the comment or respond. You’ll be notified when they respond. You can tap the message icon at bottom of TikTok to access the video below the notification.
If you did not receive a notification, however, there is no direct way to return to the video. To search for it using the Discover feature, visit the profile of the poster or follow the steps above to browse your watch history.
How can I find the videos I want to rewatch easily?
TikTok offers many ways to retrieve videos from TikTok. However, to retrieve videos easily in the future you must take intentional action. This means that if your TikTok account is accidentally refreshed, you won’t be able to perform any of the actions.
TikTok users are able to easily locate any video they like by visiting their profile pages and tapping the heart icon. Then scroll through the list until you find the video that interests you.
You can also use the Favorites function to quickly retrieve videos. It can be difficult to locate a favorite video if the liked videos folder becomes cluttered. Users can add the video to their favorites by tapping the Share icon. You can find your favorite videos, sounds and hashtags on your profile page. To find your favorites folder, simply tap the flag icon to the right of Edit Profile.
Users can also download the video to their device. You can also download the video of another person by clicking on the Share icon. Be aware that this function may be disabled by the original creator, so it might not work every time.