An Android TV Box, a streaming device, can be plugged into your TV and allows you to access popular streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus and many more. However, you may not have access to certain content depending on where you live.
An example: Netflix US’s vast library will not be available in many countries. Other countries also have content that Americans won’t find. You can bypass geo-restrictions, and view all restricted content from any country in the world by connecting your Android TV box with a VPN.
Not all VPNs allow you to do this. We’ve provided everything you need to know to help you choose the right VPN for your Android TV. This includes how to set it up and which VPNs to use.
Top 5 best VPNs for Android TV box
- NordVPN is the best VPN for Android TV Box
- Surf Shark – Best Value Android TV Box VPN
- AtlasVPN – Great VPN app at a great price
- IPVanish is fast and great for streaming
- PureVPN is a feature-packed VPN service for Android TV
Quick guide: How to use an Android TV box VPN
A VPN can be used on your Android TV to access the entire content library.
Here are the steps to setup a VPN on your Android TV box.
- Register for a VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Visit the Google Play Store for your Android TV Box
- Download the VPNapp and install it on your device.
- Connect the server. Select a country with rights to your content.
- Sign in to any streaming site and start watching the show.
Each VPN on this list offers an Android app. If you don’t like the option that you choose, you can simply connect your Wi-Fi router and VPN.
Best VPNs for Android TV box – our detailed list
On our Android TV box, we tried out many VPNs. These VPNs all have excellent geo unlocking capabilities and are fast (and very stable!) performance. These are our top Android TV VPN choices:
1. NordVPN – best VPN for Android TV box
NordVPN is the best choice for unblocking content from any location in the world. It can bypass any location restrictions on any streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu and BBC iPlayer. It works flawlessly and offers excellent buffer-free performance.
NordVPN includes a separate AndroidTV app. This allows you to download it directly onto your Android TV box. This version has been optimized for maximum ease-of-use and performance. You can also use the regular NordVPN App with the Android TV app’s layout. Simply adjust the settings.
NordVPN is perfect for streaming 4K content. It uses NordLynx which is a modified WireGuard protocol. We have not seen any significant drop in speed or quality during our testing.
This provider has more than 5400 servers located in 60 countries. You have a whole world of content to choose from. This VPN also supports SmartDNS and router connections. Split tunneling is also available. For any issues, you can also access its live chat support.
NordVPN offers a vast array of security options that will protect your data from hackers and third-party attackers.
NordVPN offers a great value option with plans starting at $3.29/month and a 30-day money back guarantee.
For more information, please visit our NordVPN review.
To learn more about features, visit NordVPN
- Great dedicated Android TV app
- We’ve been able to unblock all streaming services we tested
- NordLynx is one of the fastest we have ever used
- There are many features to choose from
- There are many servers to choose from
- Our most secure VPN
- No dedicated router app
- There are many cheaper options available
2. Surf Shark – best value Android TV box VPN
Surf Shark is a great alternative to NordVPN if you don’t like its sound but are unable to afford it. It offers many of the same features, but at a much lower price. Although it does not have an Android Package Kit (APK), there are easy ways to get around this. You can download Surf Shark from the Google Play Store. Then, enable TV mode under the settings.
This little hurdle will be cleared and your Android TV box can now access one of the most trusted VPNs. Surf Shark bypassing region restrictions for all major streaming services like Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar.
However, that is not the key feature. Performance is the killer feature. Surf Shark has the fastest average speed of any list member, at 263mbps. This is due to the use WireGuard. It also has more than 3200 servers located in over 95country, so there’s always new content to explore.
Surfshark also offers unlimited simultaneous connections and live chat support. You also get advanced encryption.
Surf Shark offers a low price plan starting at 2.30 per month with a 30-day guarantee.
For more information, please take a look at our Surshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – Great VPN app at a great price
Atlas VPN is one of the most popular Android TV apps. It offers speed-optimized servers and a simple, functional application.
The app is the same on Android TVs as it is on Windows PCs. Tunneling protocols, encryption, and functionality are all the same.
SafeSwap servers are designed to increase security by constantly changing your IP address while you browse the internet. You can choose from the most likely options to bypass any streaming company’s block. The streaming quality was excellent. We were able to access Netflix, BBC iPlayer and YouTube. DAZN did not work unfortunately, but that’s no problem if you don’t use it.
Atlas VPN allows you to use its service free of charge – as you can get a free Tier plan which gives you limited access. It won’t work as well for streaming as there are data caps and smaller server fleets that will be blocked by many streaming services.
Atlas VPN is an excellent value for money, as it offers free plans starting at $2.05/month. It is a simple Android TV VPN provider with a great interface and powerful streaming capabilities.
For more information, take a look at our Atlas VPN review.
4. IPVanish is fast and great for streaming
IPVanish may have a small number of servers, but it is still an excellent Android TV VPN with great worldwide streaming options and solid streaming capabilities.
The IPVanish Android TV App was a pleasure to use personally. It’s simple and minimalistic. This is a refreshing change from cluttered interfaces that try to do too many things. The TV remote isn’t the most intuitive of tools, so it’s refreshing to see a provider try to minimize clicking.
IPVanish’s performance has been excellent. This provider is now one of the most reliable options on the market. It shows in real life performance. Netflix streamed in 4K without any buffering, lag or drops in quality.
IPVanish was able to unlock Netflix, BBC iPlayer and YouTube but it had issues connecting to DAZN and Hulu, Disney Plus and Amazon Prime Video. Although a few server reboots and server changes were necessary, it did not fix the problem permanently. My Pixar sessions were not as relaxing and smooth as I expected.
IPVanish is an excellent choice if you are looking for a reliable and simple Android TV VPN to watch Netflix. It’s a great value overall at a cost of x.
For more information, please read our IPVanish review.
5. PureVPN is a feature-packed VPN for Android TV boxes
Many VPNs consider Windows apps to be their favorite child. All the latest features and design changes are made there first. PureVPN, on the other hand, is an Android-focused provider. It should not be surprising that their Android TV app is loaded with top features, making it great for streaming.
PureVPN offers smart split tunneling and ISP throttle protection to protect you from ISPs trying to slow you down. PureVPN may be the best choice if you are experiencing performance problems streaming without VPN.
PureVPN accounts can be used to connect to up to 10 devices at once. The streaming quality is also excellent on speed-optimized servers. PureVPN streams Netflix, Hulu and BBC iPlayer with no problems. This makes it an excellent option for Android TV.
We have had some issues with streaming apps and connection drops. Your mileage will vary depending on which streaming platform you choose and what model of device you have. PureVPN costs just $1.99 per month, and you can try it for free .
These VPNs: How we tested them
We considered the following criteria when deciding which VPN providers we would include in our Android TV Box list:
- If the Android TV app is available or optimized for TV, You will need a VPN that supports Android TV. This means you can use the app to connect to the VPN directly from your Android TV box without having to set up anything.
- Speed There are few things that can be more frustrating than buffering when you’re binging on your favorite show. We chose VPNs that offer fast speeds and are perfect for streaming without lag. We did not include any VPNs that had problems with streaming.
- It can stream: However, not all VPNs are able to bypass regional restrictions for streaming services. We tested many VPNs to ensure that we found the best ones for streaming.
- Customer Support: It’s crucial to be able to reach out to someone if something goes wrong. Each VPN provider on our list has at least live chat support to answer your questions.
- Price When you are considering a long-term subscription price is an important consideration. Our list offers a range of pricing options to fit your budget.
- Security: No matter your reason for using a VPN, security remains important. Each VPN we have on this list has a variety of tools that will help you keep your data secure online.
Why is a VPN necessary for my Android TV?
An Android TV Box transforms your TV into an Android TV Box, which allows you to stream all of your favorite streaming services. It will not allow you to access content from your location.
You will have access to various versions of international platforms such as the US Netflix, UK Disney Plus or Canadian Amazon Prime Video. These platforms must comply with the licensing agreements in each country. Therefore, their catalogs may differ from one region to another. However, a VPN allows you to access movies and other shows from any location in the world.
Geolocking can sometimes affect whole products as well as content. Geo-blocks may prevent you from accessing HBO Max and Hulu if you are outside the US. You won’t be able to access BBC iPlayer for Channel 4 if you are outside the UK.
A VPN allows you to bypass these restrictions and watch content from any location in the world. To connect to a server outside of your country, simply download a VPN to your Android TV box. This will allow you to access all streaming services from that region.
How to install a VPN in an Android TV Box
This section will show you how to set your Android TV box up with a VPN, so that other countries can view your content.
Here are the steps to install a VPN onto an Android TV Box.
- Register for the VPN you choose. We recommend NordVPN.
- Open Google Play Store from the Android TV box to find your VPN app
- Download and Install the VPN to your Android TV Box.
- Sign in to create an account or log in .
- Connect with a server at a location with the content you are looking for.
- Login to the streaming service and start watching.
You can also connect your VPN to your Wi Fi router. This will allow you to access the content on your Android TV.
An APK is required to install a VPN on Android TV Box.
An APK can be used to set up a VPN for your Android TV box. If your VPN doesn’t have an optimized Android TV App, this is a great option.
Here are the steps:
- Download the APK from your VPN’s website
- Copy the APK to an USB drive
- In the Settings menu of your TV box, select “Unknown Sources”.
- Insert the USB stick in the TV box
- Open the File Manager app to run the APK installation from the USB drive.
- Connect with a server located in the region you are interested in viewing the content.
- Start watching the streaming service!
Can an Android TV Box use a free VPN?
Although you can use an Android TV box’s free VPN, we don’t recommend it. One reason is that all free VPNs have been blocked on all major streaming services.
Even if you were able to use a VPN to unblock content that is restricted by location, it’s likely you would have to deal with lots of buffering. This is because no-cost VPNs aren’t always able to deliver reliable or fast speeds.
Worse, free VPNs often make money by selling user data to third parties. They are not secure.
If you are interested in trying one, it is likely that a freemium VPN will be the best choice for you. This is a free version that you can use to access a paid VPN. It makes it more secure and has additional features. Many freemiums have a limited number of features and a data cap.
We recommend Windscribe as a free VPN to use with your Android TV box. The monthly data limit is 10GB. You can also choose ProtonVPN, or AtlasVPN if you need unlimited data.
Cybernews has more VPN guides
The best VPNs for Apple TV: Unblock more Apple TV content with a VPN
The best VPNs for Kodi Stream any Kodi addon securely
The best VPNs for MLB.tv Blackouts
How to change your location on Android.
Use Chromebook to bypass school blocks
The best VPNs for Verizon Fios – Avoid throttling and protect privacy with a reliable VPN
Which VPN is best for Android TV?
We recommend NordVPN as it offers a dedicated Android TV app that works well. It can also bypass any region restrictions and provide fast download speeds to allow buffer-free binging.
Is NordVPN compatible with Android TV boxes?
Yes, NordVPN is especially compatible with Android TV. It even has its own Android TV app which makes it easy to use.
Is streaming through a VPN slower than my Android TV box?
This might affect your speed a bit. However, a reliable VPN with strong speeds should not make a big difference.