In one step, we’ll show how to use Apple Shortcuts to transform photos, videos, and Live Photos into GIFs.
GIFs are essential for online communication. GIFs are a popular file format that allows you to convey ideas and emotions in a way that text and images can’t. GIFs can be shared easily and are lighter than videos, which makes them universal.
You can embed an iPhone app called Embedded that converts images, videos, and Live Photos into GIFs. To convert files to GIFs, you don’t have to use a third-party application. You can easily create your own GIFs using the iPhone’s Shortcuts App.
How to turn photos into GIFs
Before you begin, ensure that the Shortcuts application is installed. Shortcuts, unlike other apps on your device, can be deleted. Don’t worry. It’s always free to download from the App Store. After you’ve downloaded the app, you can convert a photo to a GIF.
- Open Shortcuts.
- Click on the Gallery tab and search for Convert photos to GIF. Click on it and then click Add Shortcut.
- Next, go back to the My Shortcuts tab and tap the Convert photos to GIF shortcut.
- You can choose up to 21 photos. According to our tests, if you go beyond 21 photos, it will cause an error. After you are done selecting, tap Add in the upper right corner of your screen.
- A preview of your GIF will be displayed. Tapping Done will close the preview and save your newly created GIF. To save the image to your Photos, tap the Share button in the upper left. It can be sent directly to others via Messages, Messenger or other messaging apps such as Messenger.
You have it! Now you can create a GIF using your curated photos. You can also create GIFs from your Burst photos .
About Turning Live Photos Into GIFs
Live Photos lets users capture a few seconds before and after taking a photo, creating a short video. These images can only be taken with an iPhone 6S or later and can only viewed on Apple devices running iOS 9 or macOS El Capitan. If you convert the images into GIFs, anyone else, even non-Apple users will see a still picture.
How to Take Live Pictures
Open the native camera app and tap the Live Photo button. It turns on and becomes yellow.
To turn off the feature, simply tap the icon located above the viewfinder. It will turn off when it is turned on and it will become white. Notice: Live photos take up twice as much space on your phone than regular photos.
How to Convert Live Images to GIFs
Before Apple Shortcuts existed, the only way to convert Live Photos to GIFs was by downloading third-party apps such as Lively. If you don’t upgrade to the premium version, however, the GIF will have a watermark and the app name.
Instead, you can use the iPhone’s Shortcuts App for free. To do so:
- Open Shortcuts.
- Click on the Gallery tab and search for Make GIF. Click on it and then click Add Shortcut.
- Next, go back to the My Shortcuts tab and tap the Make GIF shortcut.
- Choose a Live photo from your album. This shortcut, unlike the Photos to GIF shortcut sends your GIF automatically to the Photos album.
How to convert videos into GIFs
To convert your video from your camera roll to GIFs, you’ll need to use the Make GIF shortcut. This shortcut compresses your video automatically and sends the converted GIF directly to your photo library. You can also use Video to GIF shortcuts to convert your videos into GIFs.
Give Away Your Share!
You can create your own GIFs with your iPhone from photos, videos, and Live Photos. These GIFs are now easy to share and can be shared across all devices, eliminating any barriers that might have prevented you sharing them.