Edit, delete, or create a Slack reminder
What to Know
- Type /remind in the comment box. Next, enter the name of the person to remind, the reminder and the date.
- Select the three lines to add a reminder. Long-press the message and then select Remember me about this.
- You can edit reminders by going to your Slack channel, and typing /remind list.
Slack is a popular collaboration tool for remote teams. Did you know that Slack has a powerful task reminder system built in? Reminders in Slack are great for remembering things such as work tasks, appointments or birthdays. This is how it works.
How to add a reminder in Slack
It is easy to add a reminder in Slack using the correct syntax. The command has three parts. Once you have added it, Slack will remind you or another person with the reminder text that you specified, at the time you indicated.
- Log in to Slack to see the way the command should be set up. The pop-up will help you structure your command.
- Always precede the @ symbol’s name or the # symbol’s channel name. me is enough to remind yourself. Use the /remind command to remind the person, the reminder and the due date. As follows:
/remind Me “Reminder” 4/29/2020 9 :15 PM
There are many ways to specify the time. You can specify the time for today only, indicate the date in any format, or write any day of week. It is possible to use recurring terms such as “every Monday, Friday”, or “every other weekday”. It will default to 9:00 AM on the day that you have specified if you don’t specify a time.
- You’ll receive a confirmation message when you press Enter. You will also see buttons to Delete your reminder or View All Reminders you have already set.
- Reminders are displayed in the Slackbot Channel. When the reminder is active, you’ll see a notification icon. You can select the channel to see the most recent reminders. To receive the reminder again later, you can choose Mark as Complete or Delete.
- You can assign a reminder to another person using the @ symbol. It will appear in their Slackbot Channel at the time and date you specify. Slack is a great tool to remind people of tasks.
How to edit a reminder in Slack
You need to edit or update a reminder. This is because reminders can’t be edited directly. You first need to locate the reminder that you wish to edit and delete it. Then, create a new update.
- Remember your reminders. Select your slack channel and type /remind list. This will display a list with all your reminders.
- Select and delete next the task you wish to remove.
- Remind the client to add the reminder using the above procedure, but with new details.
You can use the /remind command on Slack web or mobile.
How to set a reminder in Slack from Messages
You can save messages you receive in Slack as reminders if you need to reply to them later. This works differently depending on whether you are using Slack web or Slack mobile apps.
- Select the three dots at the right of your message in the Slack app. You will be able to select Please remind me about this. Next, choose the time you wish to be reminded. You can either choose a time period or select Custom to specify a time and personalize the reminder.
- You can add a reminder to a message in Slack by long-pressing on it and selecting Remind me from its pop-up menu.
- Tap the Remind Me window to select the time you wish to be reminded. To set your own time and date or to add a reminder text, select Custom
These reminders will appear in the Slackbot channel, just like the other reminders you have set using the /remind command.