VLC media player will always be the best way to view media files and DVDs on your Android or computer. Chromecast is not supported by VLC media player if it is your default player.
Worry not, because you can use VLC media player to watch media and have it cast over to your TV via Chromecast—it just takes a bit of fiddling first.
How to stream VLC Player to Chromecast using a Windows/Mac Computer
First, make sure you check your software version before streaming content from your VLC player to your Chromecast device. You can download VLC players to your Mac or computer by visiting the official VLC webpage.
If you already have VLC Player installed, simply open the application and navigate to the help menu. Click About to verify that you’re running the latest version. Chromecast streaming was then added.
How to Remove Metadata From Photos
These steps will help you get started streaming:
- In the upper left corner, select Playback.
- Next, tap renderer and then select Googlecast from that list.
- Once you are connected, click the Media Menu in the upper left-hand Corner. Select Open File… OR Multiple Files…. Next, navigate to the content that interests you and choose it.
Chromecast may not be listed in your device list. Make sure your Chromecast and computer are connected to the same wifi network.
How to stream VLC Player to Chromecast using an Android Device
Chromecast support will be added to VLC media player Android in the future. There are two choices: either you can find an Android video player that streams to Chromecast, which is possible. Or you can go the slow-paced and draining route of using VLC Player.
Here’s how to choose the second option.
- Google Home (Chromecast app), install it on your Android device, and pair your Chromecast with it.
- Start VLC media player, and select the file that you wish to cast.
- Start Chromecast, tap the Menu icon and choose Cast screen/audio.
- Follow the instructions on screen to cast your device’s display to your Chromecast.
- You can now go back to VLC Player to set the video to full-screen mode.
It’s easy to stream VLC media player from Android.
Troubleshooting VLC to YouTube Streaming
These methods can be used to resolve audio issues such as hearing only the audio.
- If VLC isn’t open, then go to Tools > Preferences.
- Select the Video tab in the top-right corner of the new window.
- Select OpenGL Video Output from the Output dropdown menu. Windows users will want to choose OpenGL video output.
- Click on the Codecs tab.
- Next, click on the Hardware accelerated decoding dropdown list, select Disable and then click on Save.
- Log out, log back in, then open VLC and you can start streaming.
If none of the above steps resolve the problem, check that audio passthrough is disabled. It’s located in the Tab menu.
Resetting VLC Preferences
You might try resetting your VLC media player preferences if the above steps don’t work. Before you reset your preferences to default, make sure to take note of all settings.
- Click on Tools > Preferences in VLC media player.
- Click on Reset Preferences.
- Click OK to confirm your decision in the popup window.
Streaming to Chromecast
While you may experience occasional problems streaming to Chromecast, it is very easy when everything works well. Make sure to verify that both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Otherwise, it will be like trying to connect with someone using a different phone number.
These solutions worked for you? Are you streaming VLC media player differently to your Chromecast? Please share your thoughts and ideas with the community below.