It’s quick and simple to find any file on your computer
This article will explain the main methods to search for files within Windows 10. It also offers suggestions for third-party applications and helpful tips for optimizing file searches.
Open File Explorer in Windows 11
Use the Taskbar Search Bar to perform a general search.
This is a simple way to search and open an app or email.
- To access the taskbar, use the WIN key, or the search bar at the bottom-left corner near the Start button.
- Enter the name of the file/app you are searching for. Do not press Enter yet.
- You will see Instant results. The top categories allow you to filter your results by Documents. These can be found most often in the More Menu.
- Select the item you want to open.
If you are unsure whether this is the right item for you, click on the arrow next to it. This will let you see its most recent modification date and exact location on your computer.
Perform a File Search within a Specific Folder
This is an extremely focused way to search Windows 10 folders. If the file’s location is known, this method can be useful.
- Go to the folder you want to search. If the folder is already open, skip this step.
- Use the search bar at the top-right corner to find
- Enter your search term and hit the.
Tips to Search Faster for Files
The hidden search options in File Explorer are extremely useful if you’re unsure about the file name or need to narrow your results. You can limit the results to files that have been modified in the past month.
These are some examples of how to filter search result.
- datemodified :last month
- Size:>10 MB
You can combine these, and you can add text to search for a specific name.
- Datecreated:2020 *.jpg height:160 vacation
- *. *.
Similar options for sorting are available. This allows you organize the songs according to size. This makes it easier to see the largest songs.
Files can be sorted in many ways other than using the size option. To view all columns, right-click the heading of a column.
Remember that the computer should not be looking at too many folders. Once you have determined the location of your file in the Downloads directory, you can use taskbar search to search the whole computer.
Third-Party File Search Tools
Another option is to use a third-party program to speed up file searches within Windows 10. There are many free file search tools that do a great job. This is only one example. Everything can be indexed on your hard drive in a matter minutes.
Where to Find Large Files in Windows 10
- Windows 10 can’t search for files
You can test your network connectivity if Windows search fails to work. Restart Cortana. Next, turn Cortana on and off again.
- Where can I find my shared folders in Windows 10?
Open File Explorer, and select Network. Next, select the device that contains the shared folders you wish to browse.
- How do I find duplicate files in Windows 10?
Duplicate Cleaner can find and delete duplicate files . Search for specific file types like videos and music and also remove empty folders
- How do I locate hidden files in Windows 10
Open Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > File Explorer Options >View>> Advanced Settings > Hidden Files and Folders.