Have you changed your mind? In just a few steps, you can turn the touch back on
What to Know
- Select Human Interface Devices > Action .
- If you don’t see HID compliant touch screen on your device, please select Act> Scans for hardware changes.
- To disable touchscreen, right-click HID compliant touch screen > update driver. Find the driver update option and install it.
The touchscreen of a Windows device is normally enabled right out of the box. The Control Panel will enable the device manager to turn on the touchscreen. This guide will show you how to activate the touchscreen in Windows 10 and Windows 8. It also explains how to force Windows to check for touchscreen hardware and how to update it.
How to Turn on the Touchscreen in Windows 10 or 8
You need to access Device Manager in order to enable touchscreens in Windows 10 or 8. The Device Manager can be accessed through the Control Panel. However, it is faster to use the search box in the taskbar.
- You can select the search field from your taskbar.
- Type Device Manager.
- Select Device Manager.
- Select the arrow to the right of Human Interface Devices.
- Choose HID-compliant touchscreen.
- At the top of your window, select Action.
- Select Enable Device.
- Verify that the touchscreen is working.
To turn the touchscreen back on on your Windows 10 tablet that has been disabled, connect a USB keyboard or mouse.
7 Best Touchscreen Gloves for 2022
How to force Windows to check for a Touchscreen
There are two possible reasons why you might not see an entry for a HID-compliant touchscreen under your Device Manager. Windows may not be aware that you have a touchscreen. This can be corrected by scanning for hardware modifications. Another is that you don’t have a touchscreen.
If your touchscreen is not working and there’s no listing for an HID-compliant touch screen, contact the manufacturer. They will need the product number to determine if your device needs a touchscreen. There are many laptop models that have touchscreens.
Here’s how you can force Windows to verify that your device has a touchscreen.
- To open the Device Manager, click on the search box in your taskbar and type Device Manager.
- To expand the list, click the arrow beside Human Interface Devices. Verify that your touchscreen is HID-compliant.
- On the toolbar, select Action.
- Select Scan to make hardware changes.
- To see if HID-compliant touchscreen exists, select the Human Interface Devices listing.
- Check to make sure your touchscreen is found by Windows’ hardware wizard. If not, continue to the next section to verify for driver updates.
It may not find your touchscreen.
How to update your touchscreen driver
Sometimes, a touchscreen may not work after being enabled. You may need to check your Device Manager for a list of HID-compliant touchscreens. If your touchscreen doesn’t function after you have enabled it, this could indicate a hardware or driver problem.
If your touchscreen stops working due to a driver problem, you can usually fix it by running WindowsUpdate or contacting the manufacturer for special instructions or tools.
Here are the steps to update your touchscreen driver
- To open the Device Manager, click on the search box on your taskbar. Type Device Manager and then choose Device Manager.
- To expand the list, click the arrow beside Human Interface Devices.
- Right-click HID compliant touch screen
- Select Update driver.
- For the latest driver software , select Search automatically
- Install the new driver if it is found by the driver update wizard.
- Verify that your touchscreen is working.
- Windows Update can be used to fix touchscreen problems.
How to enable a touchscreen in Windows 7
Windows 7 has a different approach to touchscreens than Windows 8. Windows 7 users can enable their touchscreens through the Pen and Touch menu, instead of the Device Manager. You can access this menu from the Control Panel.
- Click the Start option.
- Select Control panel.
- Touch and select Pen
- Select the Touch tab.
- Select the box beside and use your finger to input.
To get the touchscreen to work, it must be checked. If the box has been checked and it still doesn’t work, there may be a driver or hardware problem.
- Verify that the touchscreen is working.
Are You Using Windows 10’s Touchscreen?
The touchscreen is not required for Windows 10 laptops or 2-in-1 devices. This means that you may find the touchscreen disabled in some situations. Some people choose to disable the touchscreen to prevent accidental inputs such as clicking on something you don’t want to click on.
A touchscreen is enabled on Windows 10 devices for the main reason that it makes it easier to complete certain tasks. Tapping on the screen takes less time than using a mouse to move around or clicking with a trackpad.
A compatible pen device and a touchscreen can be used with your Windows 10 tablet, 2-in-1 or laptop in some cases. This is an excellent way to add functionality to a touchscreen-enabled Windows 10 tablet if you are involved in any type of graphic design.
How do I turn off the keyboard sounds in Windows 10
- How do I install the Lenovo touchpad driver
To Install the Lenovo touchpad driver. Open Device Manager. Next, go to the Mouse section and uninstall the driver. Next, restart your computer and navigate to the Lenovo support website. The driver can be downloaded. Restart your computer.
- What can I do to make my Chromebook a touchscreen device?
To turn on the Chromebook touchscreen, press search+shift+T. If the touchscreen toggle isn’t available on your Chromebook, navigate to chrome://flags/#ash-debug-shortcuts and enable Debugging keyboard shortcuts.