Stop locking up apps or using up data and kill them
What to Know
- IPhone X or newer: Swipe left to reveal multitasking view. Swipe the app up to remove it from the top.
- iPhone 8/7: Double-click on the Home button. Slide the apps around to locate the one you want to quit. Slide the app up to remove it.
- iOS 6 and lower: Double-click on the Home button to slide apps and find the one you want to quit. Hold the app down. Tap the red badge.
This article will show you how to close an app from your iPhone. All devices running iOS 6 or later will be able to follow these instructions.
How to Quit and Close Apps on iPhone X or Newer
It is a little more difficult to quit apps on the iPhone X than it was with older iPhones, like the iPhone XR or iPhone 11. This is because the newer models don’t have a home button so accessing the multitasking screen will be different. Here’s how it works:
- To reveal the multitasking view, swipe up from the bottom and pause at the halfway mark.
- Tap the app that you wish to close and swipe it off the screen.
The process may be slightly different if you are using iOS 11. Tap and hold the app in the multitasking mode until you see a red – (minus) sign. To close the app, tap the plus sign.
- To return to your Home screen, tap the wallpaper or swipe down from the bottom.
How to Quit and Close Apps on iPhone 8/7
It’s easy to quit apps if you have an iPhone 8 or iPhone 7. Here are the basics:
- Double-click on the Home button to access the Fast App Switcher feature. This action causes apps to slow down a bit, so you can see icons and screenshots for all running apps.
- To find the one you want, slide the apps side-to-side.
- To close the app, swipe the app from the top edge of your screen.
- After you have closed all of the apps that you don’t want, click the Home button to return to your iPhone.
iOS 7 and higher allows you to quit multiple apps simultaneously. You can swipe up to three apps at once to the top screen. All apps that you swipe vanish.
How to Quit and Close iOS Apps
The process for closing apps on iPhone 6 is the same. If you have updated the operating system to iOS 6 or higher, please refer to the instructions above.
- Double-click on the Home button to open a row below the dock.
- Slide to the app that you wish to quit.
- Hold the app down until you see a red badge with an – sign. You can make the apps move like by rearranging them.
- To close the app, tap the minus symbol.
- Continue the process with additional apps. After you have finished closing all apps, click the Home button.
How to close apps on older iPhones
To quit an older version of iOS without multitasking, hold down Home for six seconds. If it does not, you might need to reset your device.
It doesn’t work with the latest OS versions. You can activate Siri by holding down the Home button.
It doesn’t save battery life to close apps
It is believed that closing down apps in the background can save battery even if they aren’t being used. This belief has been shown to be false and can actually harm the battery.