AirDrop allows you to send data quickly to another Apple device using an Apple device’s feature. AirDrop works as long as the recipient’s device can be reached by the sender. This feature allows you to send pictures, screenshots and other information, such as documents. It makes it quick and simple to transfer files.
AirDrop uses Bluetooth LE technology to broadcast, discover, negotiate, and transfer data point-to-point Wi Fi. All of your photos, videos and contacts can be easily transferred to another storage space via a secure, fast connection.
Check out these articles for more information on AirDrop.
AirDrop can be used to transfer data between iPhones or iPads. You may find that there are many Apple IDs available, which could lead to yours becoming overcrowded. If all of your devices have the same default names, such as “iPhone” and “iPad”, this can cause problems.
How to change the AirDrop name on your iPhone
AirDrop is a great way to share files between Apple devices. However, you need to be able distinguish your files from others that might be sharing the same WiFi space. You will need to change your name to ensure all files are transferred to the right device.
You can change your device’s name in the Settings of your iPhone (Settings>General>About), but you’ll quickly notice that your AirDrop name is unchanged. Your contacts are the reason your AirDrop feature works. You will need to change your contact card instead. Here’s how:
- Open the Dialing App on your iPhone. Scroll down and tap Contacts.
- Tap the contact card at top.
- Tap Edit in the upper-right corner.
- Enter the name that you would like others to see when AirDrop files are uploaded. Click Done at the top right.
When others try to AirDrop to you, they will see your new name. By tapping on Add Photo, you can add a profile photo to your Contact Card.
Please note that After making these changes, it may take some time for your device to show up in other AirDrop selections. If your name doesn’t appear, go to Settings>General>Reset and reset your Network Settings. Your phone will be restarted and added to the sender’s AirDrop.
You can change the name of an iPod classic, iPod nano or iPod shuffle.
- It is necessary to connect your iPod to your computer, regardless of its version.
- Start iTunes on your computer.
- Click on the device you are interested in.
- Now you should see the name of your device at the top left sidebar. Click on it.
- Enter the new name of your device that will be used to create your AirDrop and press Enter (Return).
- iTunes and your device will automatically sync, so that the new name you have chosen for your iPod will be displayed on your iPod.
How to change the AirDrop name on your iPad
If you are using an iPad, the process will be slightly different. You won’t be able to modify the contact on an iPhone. However, you can change the name of the iPad.
Here’s how you can change the name of your AirDrop on an iPad
- Open the Settings app on your iPad. Next, click on General or About.
- Click Name in the menu panel.
- Click Done and type the name that you want to be displayed in AirDrop.
When others search for your iPad, they’ll see the updated name in the AirDrop section.
How to change the AirDrop name on your Mac
AirDrop is a way to send a document to an Apple device that’s smaller than your iMac/Macbook.
You may have seen a device with the name “Unknown” if you tried to transfer data from mobile devices nearby your Mac. This is most likely your Mac.
Before you can AirDrop data from or to your Mac, it is necessary to give it a proper name. This will make it easy to recognize on your local network when you transfer data. It is as easy to change or set the name of a Mac as it is for an iPhone, iPad or iPod.
You can change the name of your Mac so it is more appropriate:
- Click on the Apple icon at the upper left-hand side of your Mac. Next, click on System preferences.
- Next, click Sharing.
- In the box ” Computer name“, type the name that you would like to use for your computer.
- After entering the name, close the window.
AirDrop makes it easy to wirelessly transfer documents, photos and videos to any iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
This is as long as you are able to use AirDrop on your Mac. We will now give you a quick reminder.
You can share content from the Finder as a first option. This is how you do it:
- You can open the Finder Click here AirDrop . You can find it in the menu bar.
- AirDrop is also available in the sidebar of a Finderwindow.
- All nearby AirDrop users will be visible in the AirDrop window.
- Drag one or more documents, photos or other files to the recipient’s window. Drop them into the window.
You could also use the Share option.
- Send the file, photo, or document you wish to open.
- Click Sharewithin the app (this box looks like a small box pointing up).
- Choose AirDrop among the many options from the Sharemenu.
- Find and choose a recipient using the AirDrop sheet.
- Before you can send the file, wait for the other device Accept.
- After the file or files have been sent, click Done.
Similar to the above, if someone on your local network attempts AirDrop some content, you can either decline or accept their request. This request will be displayed as a notification in the AirDrop window.
Clicking “Accept”, will save your downloads and add them to a folder like Photos. All data received on your Mac automatically goes to your Downloads folder.
What to do if you are unable to see other devices?
Now you know how to change the name of your device to prevent it from being lost in the crowd when trying to AirDrop. Even your Mac can do this. What happens if a device doesn’t appear in the AirDrop window.
You must ensure that both devices have Bluetooth and WiFi turned on if you are trying to AirDrop content. Both devices should be within 30 feet (9 m) of one another.
While this is often all that is needed, there will be times when these basics are not enough. We will need to tweak the settings of the device.
Troubleshooting Tips for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- To check your AirDrop settings, head to Control Center. AirDrop must be set to receive content only from “Contacts Only” if both send and receiver devices are signed in to iCloud. You must also have the contact information for your iOS device, such as the email address and phone number associated to the sender’s Apple ID.
- To make the AirDrop option appear, change the “Contacts Only” setting to “Everyone” in order to make it visible.
- When using AirDrop, turn off Personal Hotspot. It can be disabled by going to Settings > Mobile on the recipient’s iOS device.
Mac Problems Fixed
- You can check that AirDrop has been turned on by opening Finder and clicking Click > AirDrop in the menu bar.
- Make sure to check the “Allow me be discovered by” setting in the AirDrop window.
- For older Macs (2012 and earlier), click on “Don’t See Who You’re Looking for?” in the AirDrop window. Click on “Search for an Older Mac” to continue.
- If the recipient Mac is running OS X Mavericks (or earlier), make sure an AirDrop window on the Mac is open. Choose Go > AirDrop in the menu bar of the Finder.
- In the Security & Privacy preferences, ensure that “Block all incoming connection” is off on the receiving Mac.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
It is easy to change your device’s name. If you have any questions, continue reading.
My device’s name didn’t update. What’s wrong?
If your phone doesn’t display the name change immediately after you have followed these instructions, please turn it off and then on again. This will resolve the problem if you confirm that the name change was successful using the above methods.
The sending device may already be listed in your contacts, so your device’s name might not appear correctly. If you have a contact on your receiving device that lists a work phone, the name of the contact may not appear correctly.
What distance do I need from the other device in order to send an AirDrop message?
Your device must have Bluetooth to send data via AirDrop. This means that sending and receiving devices should be within 30 feet of one another.
Three thoughts on “How to Change Your Airdrop Name”