YouTube is home to many great videos, from hilarious incidents to cat antics, and everything in between. Sometimes, however, scrolling through thousands of videos can distract from your important responsibilities.
It would be wonderful to have YouTube blocked on Google Chrome so that you can focus on your work. It is possible. YouTube can be blocked in just a few simple steps. You can also unblock the website if you decide to change your mind.
This guide will explain how to block YouTube using Google Chrome. We’ll also discuss how to block YouTube channels, and other options you may have.
Whatever method you use, all options will restrict YouTube and any other websites you wish to block. Each method can be used to block YouTube.
How to Create a Pin for Pinterest on a PC or Mobile Device Mark anthony
Change Site Permissions
You have many options beyond just blocking the whole website if you modify site permissions. Follow these steps to block YouTube with site settings
- Google Chrome.
- Go to YouTube.
- Click the lock icon to the left of the URL.
- Select Site settings in the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to Make your device use.
Click on the ask (default) button.
- Select Block.
You can also block notifications, automatic downloadings, location camera, microphone, ads, background synchronization, and many other features from the site settings page. You can change your mind by returning to this page and selecting the Allow option.
How to block YouTube on Google Chrome from a Desktop
You can use Mobicip to block YouTube completely from Google Chrome. This app allows you to block entire websites. You can also track your location and manage other apps. This parental-control app is available for Chromebook, Windows, Mac and Windows users.
Here’s what to do after you have created an account.
- Log in to Mobicip by opening Mobicip with your browser
- Click the Familytab in the top menu.
- Scroll down until Websites appears.
- Click the arrow to the right.
Type ” YouTube.com” under Blocked Websites.
- Click Block.
It’s simple to remove any blocked app from the “Allowed apps list” if you decide to change your mind. This app offers a great feature: the ability to connect to multiple devices. This allows you to choose which users have restrictions and which do not.
How to block YouTube on Google Chrome for an iPhone or Android
You can even block certain apps from being installed on your child’s device before they are even installed. This is how to use it to block YouTube.
- Open Mobicip on a mobile device.
- Look for the three horizontal lines at the upper-left corner.
- Select My Family.
- Go to the profile for the person you wish to block YouTube.
- Select Social Apps.
- You can find YouTube on this list.
- Switch the switch.
YouTube can be found under Videos or Mobile Apps. Keep in mind, however, that Mobile App will allow you to still access YouTube via your browser on your phone.
How to block YouTube on Google Chrome with a browser extension
A browser extension is another way to block YouTube in Google Chrome. This is how you do it:
- Google Chrome.
- Go to the Google Chrome Web Store.
- In the search bar, type “Site Blocker“.
- Select the extension “Site Blocker” from the list.
- Right click on the Add To Chrome button.
Go to Add extension in the pop-up window.
The browser extension has been downloaded successfully. It’s now time to install the browser extension and block YouTube. You can find out how to do this by following the steps below:
- Go to YouTube
- Click the extension icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Click on the three dots next to Siteblocker.
- Select Block this site.
This is all there is to this. This Chrome extension can be used to block almost any website or platform. It is easy to unblock them if you change your mind.
How do I block YouTube channels?
It is easy to block a YouTube channel, but you’ll need a YouTube account in order to do this. Here’s how you do it:
- Open YouTube.
- Enter the channel name you wish to block.
- Visit the About Section on their YouTube account.
- Scroll down until you find a flag icon at the bottom-right of your screen.
- Select Block user.
- Click on Submit.
You can block YouTube channels on your mobile apps by following these steps:
- Open the YouTube app.
- Tap the magnifying glass icon at the upper-left corner.
- You can search for the YouTube channel you wish to block.
- Click on one of their videos to open it and then click on their username.
- Slide on the top menu, and select About.
- Tap the three dots at the upper-right corner.
- Select Block user.
Can I block YouTube from my computer?
You can also block YouTube from all browsers. However, this is a more complex process than the other methods in this guide. Access your computer’s hosts file is required. The host file’s location for Windows is “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc,” and for Mac, the host file is in the device’s Terminal.
Follow these steps to block YouTube from all your computer browsers:
- Open your host file.
- At the bottom, type in ” 127.0.0.1“.
- Use the Tabkey to access your keyboard.
- Enter ” YouTube.com”
- Enter by pressing
- Enter ” 127.0.0.1 again and hit Tab.
- Type ” myoutube.com“, and hit .
- In the upper-left corner, click File.
- Select Save as…
- Select Text Documents.
- Select All files from the drop-down menu.
- Select the “hosts” folder and then save.
- Confirm that it is your intention to save it.
You should now restart your device. YouTube will block all internet browsers the next time it is turned on.
YouTube is a waste of time
You now know how to stop YouTube from Google Chrome on all of your devices. Also, you know how to block YouTube channels and how to stop YouTube from all browsers. You can now relax knowing that your children won’t waste time on this addictive platform.
Are you familiar with how to block YouTube using Google Chrome? Have you tried any of these methods? Please let us know what you think in the comments below.