It’s a great way to interact with your followers by creating a story on Instagram. This is particularly important for business accounts.
Stories on Instagram feel real, personal, and instant. They disappear within 24 hours so there’s no need to worry about perfection. Instagram stories are great because they can be spontaneous. You don’t have to plan them.
Not only will your stories be displayed on your profile but also on the feeds of your followers and alongside any stories you have shared. Some users include a lot of information in their stories, which is not surprising. A clever caption or sticker can make a lasting impression. What about links?
Linking to Your Instagram Story
Instagram is well-known for restricting your options. This includes limiting user’s options when it comes to adding links.
Viber: How to Change Your Number
A link can be added to your profile. You can also add a caption to your story that includes instructions for people to visit your website.
What about the direct links in your story? Your followers can tap on the story to go to a different website. Instagram has introduced the swipe-up feature for users who wish to add outgoing links into stories. If you see a story that has the caption See More, swipe up to access a new website.
Here’s what you need to know about Swipe up
This option was initially restricted to verified accounts when it first became available. These users used swipe-up to connect to promotions or concert schedules, and other relevant information. Instagram stories can also be used by celebrities to spread awareness and link to their favorite causes.
But what do you think about the rest?
To expand the swipe-up function, Instagram used a careful approach. This function can be misused and could expose users to malware sites. The swipe-up function is now available for accounts with more than 10,000 followers and business accounts.
Step-by-Step Guide for Adding Swipe Up
Here’s how business accounts can add outgoing connections to stories.
- Your Story is the most important part of your story. You can create a story by taking a photo or a video. Boomerang allows you to upload media from your gallery and record live events.
- Once your story is completed, you can make changes to it in a variety of ways. A share link icon will appear at the top of your screen if your account is eligible for swipe-up. You will see a link icon for chain links in the middle of your screen. This icon is next to the editing options.
- Click on Share Link. You can copy the URL from this menu. It is not possible to link to multiple websites within the same story.
- Add a caption. After your story is finished, Instagram will add a discrete arrow and the caption “See More”. It is located at the bottom of your page, and is easy to overlook. To encourage your followers to swipe up, it is important to include a label. You can use something like “Swipe up to get more information!”
Provide precise, but brief information on the location of the link. A call to action can be used. Other examples include:
- Enjoy a Summer Sale For more information, click here
- Click to place your order
- This week’s business hours – swipe up
You can also draw an upward arrow to convey your point. Instagram stories are personal and informal. You can add humor or puns to fit your brand and the image.
Stickers or doodles can be used to draw attention to the See More button at the bottom of your page.
The Workaround for Smaller Accounts
Instagram’s IGTV allows users with less than 10,000 followers to take advantage of the swipe up feature. To do this, you will need to have a business account.
If you don’t know what IGTV is, it is Instagram’s version of television. This is a tool for uploading videos. It will also give you the Share Link option that we mentioned earlier.
- Click on the search icon at bottom of your profile to access it.
- Click the IGTV link at the top.
- Click on the Add button at the top to add video content.
- Click on the Share link and add a URL and caption. After your video has been posted, Swipe Up should be available for your followers and viewers.
What makes this a useful option for businesses?
Instagram Stories are becoming increasingly popular with all kinds of businesses who advertise on Instagram. Instagram data shows that over half of all accounts on Instagram shared at least one story each month with their followers, according to August 2017’s internal data.
People love to interact with brands and businesses on the terms they prefer. A swipe-up option can help you gain more hits to your website. This gives people instant information without any awkwardness. Swipe-up makes impulse purchases easier.
Change to a Business Account
You can convert your existing account into a business account if you want to increase your Instagram followers or become an influencer.
- Go to your Settings and click on “Switch To A Professional Account.”
- Continue to the next screen by tapping “Continue”.
- Select a category to create a professional account.
- The question will ask you if your business is a “Creator” and “Business.”
- Insta will guide you through the steps in order to get familiar with all of the professional tools that are available.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the Swipe up feature?
Swipe Up makes it easy for viewers to navigate to websites, regardless of whether you are an influencer or marketing on the platform. The feature will be available once you reach 10,000 followers.
This link will help you increase engagement on your website and other platforms. Visitors can then shop for your products or learn more about you services once they have arrived at your website.
To add a link in my Story, do I need to be verified?
Although you cannot add a link directly into your Story, you are able to add it to your Instagram bio regardless of your verified status. Once you have done that, you can add the ‘Link in Bio” to your Story by using the text function.
Are there any questions, tips or tricks that you would like to share about enabling the swipe-up function on Instagram? We would love to hear from you in the comments section below.