Can’t share post to Instagram story – Why not?
Instagram offers a variety of incredible features that enable us to interact with other accounts. However, they might not always work as intended. This article will help you if you are having trouble sharing an Instagram post to your Stories. There could be many reasons you are having trouble sharing your Instagram posts to your Stories.
This step-by-step tutorial will help you fix any errors in sharing your Instagram Stories posts. Let’s start by learning why this feature may not be working for you.
Why Instagram Stories aren’t shared by Post
Three main reasons why you might have trouble sharing a post on Instagram Stories are:
Type of account
If the button to “Add post to Story” is not available, you cannot share a post. This feature is only for public accounts. You will not be able to share a post if you have a private account.
Check if the Instagram account that you are interested in is private or public. Open Instagram in Incognito Mode and search for the same account. If the account is private, all posts will be hidden and the page will say, “This account’s private.”
Sharing Permission withheld
If another account has disabled sharing, the second reason why you may not be able to share a story to your Story might be that it is blocked. A Instagram account owner can block followers from sharing their content. The “Add post to Story” button will not work if this happens. You can disable sharing of posts by following these steps:
- Open Instagram and go to your profile.
- Click on the three lines at the top right and select “Settings.”
- Click on “Privacy”, then “Story.”
- Toggle to disable “Allow sharing of story” option
Your Instagram account might not display the “Add posts and stories” button if it isn’t updated. This could be due to platform issues. Instagram offers different features to different places, so it could be that your account does not have the “Add Post to Story” feature enabled.
How to fix an Instagram story that won’t share?
Let’s now take a look at some common resharing issues.
Reset Resharing Toggle
Resetting the toggle “Allow Resharing to Story” might be the solution. First, disable the toggle.
- Click on your profile in the Instagram app.
- Click the three lines menu at the top right.
- Click on “Settings”, then “Privacy”.
- Navigate to “Story” and toggle “Allow sharing of story” to disable it.
After the feature is disabled, restart your phone and enable it again. Follow these steps to enable it:
- Open Instagram and tap your profile.
- Click the three lines at the top right.
- Click “Settings”, then “Privacy”.
- Click on “Story” and toggle the “Allow Sharing to Stories” option.
You might be able to fix the problem by uninstalling Instagram and then installing the app again. All your Instagram followers and posts will be preserved.
This fix is only for Android users. Follow these steps to clear your cache.
- Navigate to “Apps and Notifications” by opening “Settings”.
- Click on “Instagram”
- Next, click “Storage” or “Clear Cache”.
To see if the problem is solved, share the post.
Use a different phone
Surprisingly it might work if you use a different device to share a post. Some users notice that the “Add post to your story” button appears again after they log in from another device.
Make your account public
Your friends and followers cannot repost photos from your private account. Follow these steps to make your account public:
- Click on your profile in Instagram.
- Tap the three lines at the top-right corner.
- Click on “Settings”, then “Privacy”.
- Turn on the “Private Accounts” option in “Account Privacy”.
- This will make your account visible to the public.
You will find the button to “Add post to Story” in your account. This allows you to add content to your Stories.
Share Story without the “Add post to your story” Button
If you are still missing the “Add post in my story” button, it is time to get creative. Simply take a picture of the post that you wish to share, and then upload it onto your page. You won’t be notified by the user if you do this. Therefore, you will need to tag them in your post. This method won’t work if you wish to share a video.
You can also download the post to share. You can also use this option for video content. Here’s how you do it:
- Open Instagram to find the post that you wish to share.
- Click on the three dots at top, then click on “Copy Link.”
- Copy the link to open Instagram Photo Download
Now the post will be available on your device. You can also upload it to your page. You can’t access content from private accounts.
Report the problem
You can also report the issue to Instagram if all else fails. How to file a complaint
- Open your Instagram app, and click on your profile.
- Navigate to “Settings”, then “Help.”
- Click on the “Report a problem” button when you see the prompt.
- Enter the problem. You can also take a screen shot of the issue.
- Click “Submit” in the upper right corner.
Hit That Share Button
It is easy to share posts to Instagram Stories. Sometimes reposting content can be problematic. Here are some examples. We also discussed the possible challenges and suggested solutions to help you post your stories. This tutorial will help you to share those photos.
Did you have any issues sharing your Instagram Stories posts? Please let us know if you have any questions.