Nvidia is a well-known technology brand and graphics cards are a popular choice for a wide range of customers.
To get the best performance, anyone with an Nvidia GPU on their computer prefers to match it up with an Nvidia G-Sync Monitor.
Users are often unsure whether they can afford to spend so much on a future-proof setup when they look at the prices.
You might be able to save huge amounts of money if you look at the FreeSync monitors’ prices.
This article will answer your question and give you the information and tools that you need to make this happen.
Is it possible to use a freeSync monitor with an Nvidia card?
You can use any Nvidia graphics card with any screen, and the image will look exactly like any other.
Nvidia used to support its G-Sync monitors, but it locked you in to its ecosystem a few years back.
AMD also supported the FreeSync open standard.
Things have changed in 2019 with Nvidia’s G-Sync Compatible initiative. Also known as “Nvidia freeSync,”
GeForce owners can now enable G-Sync on FreeSync with Nvidia graphics card.
This decision has its limitations.
First, this feature is only supported by GeForce 10 series and 20 series graphics cards.
You should also connect the GPU to your monitor only through the display port.
Finally, you will need to install Nvidia drivers 417.71 or later.
Nvidia supports the adaptive sync technology on three types of displays currently:
- GSync Ultimate: GSync Ultimate or GSync HDR monitors include Nvidia’s GSync HDR module and the complete suite of HDR features.
They are the best.
- Regular GSync: Original G-Sync monitors have a GSync module. They only work with Nvidia GPUs, but they don’t support GSync HDR.
- Compatible with G-Sync: Compatible monitors are Adaptive Sync or FreeSync monitors Nvidia has approved for use with their GPUs.
They do not have a G-Sync module built in, but they are compatible with the VESA Adaptive-Sync standard.
They are also compatible with AMD GPUs.
Adaptive sync is enabled automatically when you have a G-Sync Compatible monitor installed and the latest Nvidia drivers.
Users wonder if there are any G-Sync compatible monitors that they can connect to their Nvidia graphics cards.
According to Nvidia, “It might work, it may partly work, or it may never work at all.”
This method has been used by many people to create high-quality displays. However, some have had significant problems.
It all depends on which monitor and GPU combination are used.
Connecting a G-Sync Compatible FreeSync Monitor to an Nvidia GPU
It’s easy to hook up a G-Sync Compatible monitor that Nvidia has approved for use with an Nvidia GTS.
You just need to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Step 1 – Connect the Monitor
The FreeSync monitor can be connected just like any other display. However, you must use the Display port to make the connection.
Use the HDMI 2.1 port if you have a GTX 16 or RTX 20/30 Nvidia GPU.
Step 2 – Update Windows
It is recommended that you have the most recent version of Windows.
- To open the app, right-click the Windows logo and select Settings.
- Select the Security section.
- Click the Check For Updates button.
- Click on the button to download and install any pending updates messages you receive.
- After that, restart the computer to activate the update.
Step 3 – Update Nvidia Drivers
Windows Updates may have enabled Nvidia drivers to be updated.
To be certain, however, you should download the most recent drivers for your GPU on Nvidia’s official site.
Go to Nvidia’s website and search for your GPU model. Then, download the most recent drivers.
You will need to remove the old GPU drivers before installing the drivers. This is so that they don’t interfere or cause problems.
Display driver uninstaller, or DDU, is the best and most reliable tool for removing drivers from your computer.
Before you start the DDU process, disconnect your internet and continue it until your drivers are installed.
By doing this, Windows updates and automatic driver installation will be stopped from installing the wrong Nvidia drivers.
After the driver has finished downloading, restart your computer.
This will automatically download and install Nvidia’s GeForce Experience, to update drivers when Nvidia releases new versions.
Step 4 – Enable FreeSync
The FreeSync feature will need to be enabled on your monitor’s own settings.
Each monitor brand may have a different process.
Step 5 – Turn on G-Sync
- Right-click any area of the desktop to open the drop-down menu and choose Nvidia Control Panel.
- Select Change Resolution from the left menu.
- Select the FreeSync monitor, and adjust the resolution for the best results.
- Select the Set Up G-Sync section from the left panel.
- You can check the box next the Enable GSync, GSync Compatibleoption.
- Click the Apply button.
How to Use G-Sync with an Unsupported FreeSync Monito
For those who don’t have G-Sync Compatible certifications, it’s still possible manually to enable G-Sync
It’s not guaranteed to work as it should, however, as we have said before.
Start the process by following the steps in the previous section.
Next, follow these steps:
- The system will notify you when the Apply button is pressed in the final step of the previous section.
You already know that so you can move on to the next step.
- In the Set Up G-Syncwindow of the Nvidia panel select your monitor under this second heading.
- Next, click on the box next Enable settings to the selected display model and then hit Apply.
- If you are unable to see the settings above or discover later that G-Sync isn’t working properly, go to the Managesection located under the 3D Settingsmenu.
- Click on the global tab to find the monitor technologysection.
- Select GSync Compatible from the drop-down menu, then hit Apply.
To see how this change affects your display, download the GSync Pendulum Demo from Nvidia to see the impact G-Sync has on it.
Animations shouldn’t stutter or tear if your G-Sync/FreeSync combination works.
You’ll have some unlucky results if you don’t get lucky with the setup.
Reddit’s PC community created a list that lists all unsupported FreeSync monitors, and how they interact with G-Sync.
For the best results, spend some time looking through the following list if you are considering buying such a monitor.
Is it possible to use a G-Sync monitor with an AMD Radeon card?
Everyone was shocked by Nvidia’s 2019 decisions.
The company allowed its graphics cards to be connected to the FreeSync monitors. It also made it possible to use its G-Sync monitors with AMD GPUs.
Only a few of the G-Sync models on the market today had upgraded their integrated modules to allow them to support both AdaptiveSync and HDMI/VRR.
This enhancement is compatible with VRR compatible game consoles or graphics cards that support Adaptive Sync.
G-Sync monitors are available for Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.
A G-Sync monitor is also available for PC gamers who have an AMD card installed.
What makes a good freeSync monitor for use with G-Sync?
Apart from all the other qualities a monitor should have, a FreeSync monitor with G-Sync functionality should have a large variable refresh rate window. This is also known as a FreeSync window.
This is the only range where FreeSync will be active.
Imagine, for example, that your monitor has a 60 to 120Hz window.
G-Sync will cause tearing if your game’s FPS is lower than or equal to this range.
To ensure that the zone is always in the specified area, you will need to reduce your game’s graphics settings.
The larger the window, you will have to compromise the quality of the game less.