6 STEPS TO LOSE WEIGHT WITH HYPOTHYROIDISM NATURALLY
One in 10 Americans and one in eight women will experience a thyroid disorder at some point in their lives. Hypothyroidism can cause weight gain.
Hypothyroidism is a medical condition that results from an underactive thyroid. This gland is responsible for the secretion of hormones in your neck. Hyper- thyroidism is an hyper-active thyroid.
The first sign that your endocrine system may be having problems is weight gain.
It can be difficult to lose weight, especially if you have hypothyroidism symptoms.
Is it possible to lose weight if you have hypothyroidism. You can do this by changing your diet, eating habits, stress levels, exercise, and even diet. We can help you.
About 60% of people suffering from thyroid disease are unaware they have it. Hypothyroidism is a condition that causes weight gain without any explanation.
To schedule a consultation with PrimeHealth, please use the link .
Hypothyroidism: How can you lose weight?
Hypothyroidism diagnosed can seem overwhelming at first.You may feel as though you are climbing a mountain.
Hashimoto’s or secondary hypothyroidism can cause thyroid problems. Secondary hypothyroidism can be caused by a malfunction of the pituitary.
But don’t fret! We can help you with simple tips on how to lose weight if you are having trouble increasing your body weight.
Hypothyroidism weight loss can be achieved naturally without resorting to medication.
These changes should be considered a lifestyle change and not a quick diet to lose weight. Your changes should be long-lasting. These are our top tips for weight loss and hypothyroidism, including how to reduce stress and what to eat.
Step 1: Eliminate Sugar
Is there a way to lose weight quickly with hypothyroidism? You can cut out sugar.
Sugar is your enemy. Sugar is your enemy. This ingredient can be linked to many wellness issues.
Your hypothyroidism weight loss diet plan should not contain sugar.
Simple carbohydrates can also be broken down into glucose or sugar. This is why you shouldn’t eat sweets made from bread or empty carbs such as chips and cookies in your new meal plan.
We don’t recommend avoiding sugar. Below, we outline the foods that should consume.
Step 2: Follow a Hypothyroidism Diet
Hypothyroidism doesn’t necessarily mean you have to give up your favorite foods. You probably want to know what is actually on the table.
There are many foods you should avoid. But the bottom line is that food that causes inflammation must be eliminated from your diet. Your thyroid can be properly functioning if you reduce inflammation by changing your diet.
Foods to Eat
PrimeHealth recommends that hypothyroidism patients be on the Autoimmune Paleo (AIP), for a period of 1-6 months. This is especially important if autoimmunity triggers.
The AIP diet is one of Hashimoto’s methods to lose weight. AIP, in simple terms, is similar to the Whole30 diet but with some additional restrictions.
Two main benefits to eating this way are:
- The AIP diet is intended to eliminate inflammatory foods which can trigger hypothyroidism’s root cause (Hashimoto’s thyroiditis).
- All anti-inflammatory foods and healthy food that promote weight loss are included in the AIP diet.
An Autoimmune Paleo diet can also be very helpful in identifying food triggers for hypothyroidism symptoms.
Although the AIP diet allows for small amounts of honey, maple syrup and fruits, proteins and vegetables are the most common foods in this hypothyroidism diet.
These are your favorite foods to lose weight when you have hypothyroidism.
- Lean proteins:
- Seafood, especially fish, is rich in healthy fats such as omega-3 Fatty Acids.
- Non-dairy fermented food:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Non-nightshade veggies
- Cruciferous vegetables (like kale or brussels sprouts).
- Vegetables rich in sulfur (such as garlic and onions)
- Herbs such as rosemary and turmeric
- Collagen and bone broth
- Green tea
- Arrowroot starch
- A small amount of honey, maple syrup and fruits is acceptable. Monk fruit is not recommended.
GET TO THE ROOT of YOUR HEALTH CONCERNSWe share patient stories and recipes to help you regain your health.
Foods To Avoid
Can you lose weight if you have hypothyroidism. But only if your diet is changed.
If you have an underactive or hyperactive thyroid, avoid inflammatory foods that can cause weight gain. Your balanced diet should be gluten-free and soy-free.
Hypothyroidism diets prohibit any food allergens. Some of these may surprise you.
These foods should be eliminated from your diet if you are suffering from hypothyroidism.
- Nuts and seeds
- Dried fruits
- Because of the possible allergen lectin, beans/legumes should be avoided
- All nightshade vegetables :
- Vegetable oils like canola and olive oil
- Refined sugar
- Other sweeteners
- Processed foods
These inflammatory foods can be eliminated to promote healthy weight loss, and even reduce the severity of hypothyroidism.
Step 3: Use Time-Restricted Eating
You may be able to stabilize or lose weight by trying time-restricted eating, also known as intermittent fasting (or IMF).
These are the basics.
- You can practice time-restricted dining by limiting the time you eat.
- This window should not be closed less than two hours before bedtime to prevent blood sugar spikes during sleep.
- Between your last bite and your first bite of food the next day, it should take at least 12 hours.
- You may find it more helpful to extend your fasting time to 14 hours or 16 hours when you are trying to lose weight.
Time-restricted eating has been shown to be a good option for weight loss. This fasting method has been shown to help you lose weight, and may even improve your metabolic fitness.
Before you start any type of diet, talk to your doctor if you have diabetes or hypoglycemia.
Step 4: Use Stress Relief Techniques
An underactive thyroid is caused by stress . Stress can be relieved to restore normal hormone levels. Your metabolism will accelerate if your thyroid is normalized.
Other than hypothyroidism and obesity, stress has been shown to be a contributing factor. This is due to prolonged exposure to cortisol.
Here are some ways to reduce stress.
- Sleep. For stress relief, it is important to get 8 hours of quality sleep.
- You can improve your quality of sleep by turning off technology an hour before bed. Software that blocks blue light can be used to do this, such as F.lux or Iristech.
- Use blue light blocking glasses. Blue-light blocking glasses are recommended for all electronic devices that use blue light. This helps reduce cortisol production. Get 10% off your favorite blue light blocking glasses from Ra Optics by using the code PRIMEHEALTH
- Meditate. Meditation is another way to reduce stress levels and increase cortisol.
- Go outside. Spending time outside, especially in green areas, can reduce stress levels and cortisol levels.
Without medication, reducing stress is one of the best ways you can lose weight with hypothyroidism.
Step 5: Get up and move almost every day
Regular exercise is a great way to lose weight for patients with thyroid problems. Exercise can be a natural treatment for hypothyroidism.
- Relieve depression
- Increase your energy
- Increase self-esteem
- Reduce joint pain
- Muscle mass increase
- Increase insulin resistance
- Reduce unwanted weight
- Keep a healthy weight
Both physical therapists as well as endocrinologists would recommend low-impact cardio exercise for beginners. Before you begin to train for higher intensity, consult your doctor.
Strive to exercise 30 minutes per day, five days a week.
What weight should you lose if you have hypothyroidism. Start by determining your normal BMI for your height. Each person is unique, so speak to your doctor to determine how much weight to lose.
Step 6: Find the Right Nutrients & Supplements
Here are the best natural dietary supplements to lessen the severity of your hypothyroidism, promote healthy metabolism, and promote hypothyroidism-related weight loss.
- Iodine plays a vital role in healthy thyroid function. Goiters, a form of thyroid disease, is most commonly caused by iodine deficiency. Iodine plays an important role in the prevention of autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s that can lead to hypothyroidism.
- Probiotics and gut healing herbs are essential for good gut health. They remove inflammatory microbes from the body and promote healthy bacteria. Your immune system is directly linked to gut health, which is also closely tied to your thyroid health. A better thyroid function will lead to a higher metabolism. Improving your gut health can also help you lose weight. To optimize and heal your gut, sign up for our Prime Gut Health online course.
- Selenium can be found in fish, muscle meats, and other foods. Researchers found that the use of selenium in supplementation to hypothyroidism biomarkers was beneficial. Selenium can also help with stress relief by improving mood. Your metabolism will speed up with stress relief and better thyroid function.
- Glutathione, the most important antioxidant in the body, is the most common. Supplement form of glutathione fights inflammation and oxidative stress. 2018 research shows that glutathione can promote weight loss in obese people.
- Curcumin is the main component of turmeric. It fights inflammation and promotes healthy heart health. Animal research shows that curcumin regulates body weight.
Before you start any new dietary supplement, consult your healthcare provider, especially if you are pregnant with hypothyroidism. You may have different nutritional requirements during this period.
PrimeHealth will tailor your dietary and supplement plans to meet your specific needs.
Our online store offers medical-grade, third party-tested supplements.
Hypothyroidism can lead to weight gain
Hypothyroidism can make it difficult to lose weight because your metabolism slows down when your thyroid glands are underactive.
Slow metabolism can lead to weight gain, as well as slower weight loss.
It’s not just slowing your metabolism that causes weight gain in hypothyroidism. There are many factors involved.
A thyroid that is underactive doesn’t produce enough T3 ( triiodothyronine), and T4 ( theoxine) hormones. T3 and T4 regulate metabolism at the cellular level. A reduced T3/T4 secretion can slow down your overall metabolism.
Metabolism refers to how quickly your cells convert nutrients into energy. You burn less calories when you are active and rest, the slower your metabolism. A slower metabolism means that more calories are stored and converted to fat tissue.
It can be very difficult to stop weight gain. It can be difficult to lose weight if you already have a slow metabolism.
- For most people, exercise at least 2 1/2 hours per week
- Motivate yourself to exercise or to adhere to a diet
- Moving around the same amount as you did during the day is also known as “accidental exercise”
Hypothyroidism can lead to fatigue. A hypothyroidism can cause fatigue. Your cells require thyroid hormones for energy.
Fatigue can cause less physical activity which can lead to weight gain.
Everybody experiences fatigue. However, hypothyroidism can cause chronic fatigue. Getting enough quality sleep and eating well can reduce fatigue and help you reach your weight loss goals.
Weak, stiff, or aching joints and muscles
Hypothyroidism can cause weakening and aching joints, stiffness and joint pain, and possibly even carpal tunnel syndrome. It can make exercising even more difficult.
Ask someone with chronic pain in their joints: It’s a huge struggle to stay active.
Over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen may be effective, but they can also cause side effects. Fortunately, there are many natural ways to reduce hypothyroidism-related joint and muscle swelling so you can get moving again.
Thyroid hormone replacement, thyroid medication, such as levothyroxine (though it can also cause side effect), and anti-inflammatory supplements, like curcumin, can be used to treat the root causes for joint and muscle swelling.
It is easier to exercise and lose weight when your joints and muscles are healthy.
Depression is another symptom of hypothyroidism. Depression can cause a loss of motivation to exercise and other activities. Lack of exercise can cause weight gain.
Experts often link depression and hypothyroidism by citing similar symptoms. Some hypothyroidism is directly linked to depression.
The most striking thing is that hypothyroidism can be misdiagnosed as mood disorder and the lithium medication may make your thyroid problems worse. A good diagnosis includes measuring the levels of thyroid hormone and thyroid-stimulating hormonal (TSH).
Depression is fuelled by isolation, as well as the indoors. Spending time outdoors with your loved ones is a great way to get out of depression.
The AIP diet could also help improve your mood.
Hypothyroidism can make it easy to feel overwhelmed while trying to lose weight.
Hypothyroidism can cause weight gain. However, the symptoms can also contribute to an increase in bodyweight beyond the normal range.
These natural tips can help you change your eating habits, reduce stress, get regular exercise, and take natural supplements.
PrimeHealth has years of experience in weight loss and hypothyroidism. We take time to help you lose the weight that hypothyroidism has caused.